How do you keep remote workers engaged and motivated?
Do they feel part of what’s going on?
- Have regular get-togethers/ get dates in the diary where the goal is inclusion and the agenda is sharing and involving
- Provide the tools they need to do their role – e.g. business cards; email sign off; laptops; templates of stationery etc.
- Be interested in them - as much as possible to make them feel included and part of the business
- Treat them as internal customers - provide a full internal back up support
Is the communication effective?
- Don’t rely on email- speak to them as least as much as you email them
- Ask for regular updates from them
- Respect time zone differences and what they are likely to be doing when you contact them
- Consider them and think of them as if they were in the office with you – have those more personal and social conversations to build the relationship
- If possible have a shared calendar so you are all aware of when/ where people are
- Help them to communicate effectively with you, with training if necessary
Do they understand what’s important to the company?
- Don’t assume they understand or know the company or situation as well as you do
- Clarify expected company behaviour, values and attitudes
- Update them regularly on company activity
Do they know what’s expected of them? Is it realistic?
- Clearly define roles of what they are/aren’t responsible for
- Be realistic in what you ask them to do
- Provide training on what you want them to do
- When you are briefing them, take the time to give the background context as well as detail about the task
- Keep giving and asking for feedback
- When setting deadlines discuss their workload and agree a reasonable timeframe
Ensure you have the right people working remotely, it’s not for everyone!
Need help motivating your team? Get in touch
Talent Development Programmes | UK and International
Latest News and Resources
Are you ensuring your team get their breakfast?
To get the best from your team, give them feedback as soon as possible. Don't put it off for later or save for an annual appraisal Why is giving prompt feedback so impo...More..
Retain Talent Resources and Insights
Our new Influencing Style Profile is now available!
New Influencing Style profile now available! We are thrilled to announce our new Influencing Style profile is now available to support our Influencing programmes, or for individuals wanting t...
How to please the extroverts and introverts in your workplace
Does the person below sound familiar to someone you work with? Then chances are they are an extrovert! These are they kind of activities that keep our extroverts energised and happy in the work pla...
Contact Consulting is 25 years old!
Contact Consulting is 25 years old! We can’t quite believe it but we are 25 years old this November! That’s a lot of training, development and facilitation supporting our valued ...